If there’s a need for constant conversation on any topic, then the topic has to be, education. We are glad to be part of a new series on Education. Presenting a brief look at how technology is impacting education.
Technology and Education
Children these days are learning very differently to their parents, and technology is one of the biggest reasons. To understand this change, parents need to know not just how technology has changed learning methods, but also how this change impacts their children’s educational experience. Here’s a brief look at the technological impact and our students’ perspective of technology.
It’s a known fact that technology affects the way we live, work, play, and learn. Therefore, its entry into the classrooms should come as no surprise. Technology has changed the way knowledge is gathered and shared, resulting in a positive impact on education.
It also means that children are now learning differently to their parents. Often parents miss this point and get anxious when they see their children following different methods of learning than what they themselves had engaged in (as long as they are in line with accepted modes/methods by curriculum boards). However, the fact is that learning methods and expected outcomes have changed in the last few years. Technology has enabled this change, and as more schools integrate technology into their classrooms, the technological impact on education is here to stay.
How Exactly has Technology Transformed Learning?
* Use of Online Resources: Ask a kid a question, and more often than not, he or she will look to google for the answer. The online resources these days dispense information freely and easily, changing the way kids learn. So, learning doesn’t stop when the teacher does. Instead, technology ensures that learning continues, whether at home, when on the move, with parents, and even with friends.
* The increase in the use of Multimedia: Addition of illustration, animation and 3D models to the plain text have made learning a lot more interesting, interactive and in-depth.
* E-books : E-books have reduced the hassle of physically carrying books. They have also made learning a less expensive as well as sustainable to the environment.
* Sharing Information: Sharing information has become the norm. Students share knowledge easily, and this has also changed the way learning takes place. Group projects have become more common and easier to execute and enhances social skills in students
* Accessibility and ease: Education has become more accessible due to technology. It has also made teaching easy through various tools and resources available to the teachers.
How does this Impact Children?
* Your child’s education becomes more individualised and personalised.
* Thanks to online resources, not only does your child know more than perhaps you did at this the same age, but your child is also better equipped to step into a working world, surrounded by technology.
* Technology empowers teachers. It assists the teachers not just to teach, but also to track students’ progress, and to communicate with parents better.
* Technology pushes for independent learning. Though the teacher’s role is not diminished (in fact, it becomes more important), technology equips students to take charge of their own learning process.
(This is an excerpt of a piece that was written for GIG International School)